Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- You will have more success finding information on a company that is large and public than one that is small and private
- You may find useful tidbits in articles
- Don't overlook the company's website - but remember they will likely have only the positive info
- You may find company info in an industry report
Types of Documents
These can provide you with a lot of company information:
SWOT Analyses - Strenths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats; created by market research companies
Annual Reports - audited financial statements, company history; produced by the company; public companies must provide these to comply with regulations
Company Profiles - information including a company overview, financials, key people, competitors; created by maket research companies
NAICS (North American Industry Classification System) and SICS (Standard Industry Classification System) codes are used in some of the business databases. They can provide another point of access to information.
Look up NAICS codes here.
Look up SICS codes here.
Creating Lists of Companies
Both Statista and Simply Analytics can be used to create lists of companies in a specific industry.
Statista contains information on companies worldwide, Simply Analytics contains information on Canadian companies.
SWOTS and Reports
Business Source Complete
1. Type company name into the Company Information link from the ribbon across the top of the screen. You can find finanical information, key contacts and headquarters.
2) Use the search box on the main screen and type in the name of company you are interested in.
Use the Source Types limiter on the left side of the screen and filter to SWOTS to get key information first.
Business Market Research Collection
1. Input your company name.
2. Limit Source Type to Reports on the left side of the screen.
Global financial intelligence with an array of tools for analysis. Access deep company and industry research, view market snapshots for indices, mutual funds, futures, options, currencies, and commodities, and view profiles on private and public company executives, board members and investment professionals.
This database can only be accessed via the Onelog software that is installed on BCIT computers. To install Onelog on your personal device(s), see this guide
Recommended Websites: Publicly Traded Companies
Securities documents from Canadian public companies.
Documents from American public companies available through the US Securities & Exchange Commission.
Visuals & Charts
1. Choose Company DB from the ribbon at the top of the screen.
2.Select Start Your Research link below the search box.
3.Search by keyword OR use the filters below the search box to find results by location, industry, size etc
Directory Info - Address, # of Employees, Sales, etc
SimplyAnalytics (SimplyMap) This link opens in a new window
1. Sign in as guest.
2. Skip tour and X New Project.
3. Select Create Business Table.
4. Add Business type by keword or NAICS code.
4. Choose location.